When it comes to getting a demolition job done fast, a standard sledgehammer doesn’t always do the trick. Instead, you need to bring in some heavier machinery like a jackhammer or a paving breaker. These powerful tools can blast through any surface, saving you from hours of tough manual labor.
This jackhammer guide will teach you what you need to know about paving breakers and jackhammers.
What is a paving breaker?
Let’s start with the basics before we get too deep into anything else: What is a paving breaker? You can think of a paving breaker as a more heavy-duty version of a jackhammer. As its name suggests, its main job is to break up concrete. They operate perpendicular to the ground and can be powered hydraulically, pneumatically or electrically.
Paving breakers weigh anywhere from 30 to 90 pounds, depending on their job. Paving breakers weighing 30 to 50 pounds are typically used to remove concrete before pavement repair. These tools are just heavy enough to break up a few inches of concrete without damaging the entire paving surface. Paving breakers 60 pounds or more are ideal for medium-to-heavy projects that require total demolition of a concrete surface.
How to choose a jackhammer or paving breaker
Don’t just grab the first tool you see on the shelf if you’re renting one of these tools for a project. Here are a few things to consider:
- Job type: First things first: What are you trying to do with your jackhammer or paving breaker? If you’re trying to tear up a thick concrete foundation, you may need to go with a paving breaker. If you’re fixing a pothole outside, a jackhammer could be perfect.
- Tool weight: We touched on this above, but the more a tool weighs, the heavier the job it can take on. Essentially, that 30-pound jackhammer can do about one-third of the work of a 90-pound paving breaker. Just be sure your tool isn’t too heavy for you to use.
- Brand: It’s always a good idea to go with a name brand instead of a company you’ve never heard of. Models made by DEWALT, Bosch, Makita or Xtreme Power are sure to last for years without failing you. Plus, some models even carry a warranty as a testament to the product’s quality.
Why rent instead of buy?
Unless you think you’ll use it frequently, there’s no reason to buy a jackhammer or paving breaker. Instead, rent one from Ram Rent-All, Inc. Here are a few reasons to consider rental:
- Get the latest gear: When you rent your power tools, you can trust that you’re always getting the latest and greatest models. At Ram Rent-All, Inc., we only carry top-of-the-line tools made by the best manufacturers.
- Save money: A new jackhammer or paving breaker will set you back hundreds of dollars. Instead of paying a ton of money for a tool you’ll only use a few times, just rent one. Our rental prices are affordable on any budget.
Now that you’ve read through our jackhammer guide, rent yours from Ram Rent-All, Inc. Contact us today to learn about our inventory or to get a quote for your tool rental.