You have a big job to do, but Jack Frost is getting in the way. If you have to excavate in frozen ground, don’t dismay. These conditions present unique challenges, but they also have unique solutions. If you are using equipment rentals in Monroe, LA to excavate frozen ground, apply the following tips and tools.
Get the Right Oil
Before you begin your excavation project, make sure you have the right oil in your equipment. Use low temperature oils in your excavator and attachment tools for top performance.
Get the Right Supplies
Keep in mind, frozen ground is harsh on equipment, and lower temperatures increase the chances of broken seals and cracked hoses. Be sure to stock a healthy supply of spare parts, so you aren’t stuck in the middle of the job with broken pieces and no replacements to finish your project.
Get the Right Equipment
A variety of equipment rentals in Monroe, LA is available for your project. Which options are best for frozen ground? Following is an overview of the options and which will serve you best for excavating frigid terrain:
- Frost bucket: Don’t let the name fool you. This machinery offers sharp digging teeth to penetrate frozen ground, but it’s slow going. The repetitive banging and digging motion is tough on both the machine and the operator, so it might not be best for frost after all.
- Dig bucket: Take a pass on this piece of equipment for frozen excavation. It lacks the sharp bucket teeth you need for hard land, making it an ineffective method for frozen ground excavation.
- Hydraulic hammer: This tool offers pros and cons for frozen ground excavation. Its hydraulic force offers impact to penetrate the frozen land; however, it can also punch unwanted holes in the ground. Additionally, you can easily damage the chisel point if you try to use the bit to pry loose chunks of frozen dirt.
- Static ripper: If you want to use a static ripper, this will require larger equipment rental in Monroe, LA. This tool relies on brute force to penetrate the frozen ground. Be prepared for jarring motions and slow going, but the ripper does make penetration easier.
- Rotary cutter: This may or may not be a good solution, depending on how solid the ground is. Rotary cutters work slowly, but the hydraulic rotational force can chip away at the frozen ground effectively.
- Hydraulic rippers: This is the most effective equipment rental in Monroe, LA for excavating frozen ground. It offers minimal stress on the operator and the equipment. Its vibrations effectively work through the frozen ground.
- Heat: It’s possible to use a self-contained heater to thaw the ground. For this method, you’ll need extra time and patience to give the heater time to soften the terrain.
Get the Right Source
If you need the best equipment rentals in Monroe, LA to excavate frozen ground, reach out to the equipment experts at Ram Rent-All, Inc. We offer a full range of tools to provide solutions for every project and setting. Contact us today to make arrangements for your next excavation.