Did you know over 80,000 people visited the emergency room in 2014 for lawn mowing injuries? Most of these could have been avoided with the use of proper safety measures. Mowing your lawn is typically not a complex task, but it does require some prep and a few precautions. Whether you have your own mower or take advantage of equipment rental in Monroe, LA, it’s important to keep safety a priority.
Mowing the lawn is rarely a homeowner’s favorite task. Often, it becomes a chore that is quickly completed before company arrives, is squeezed in between work and dinner or is rushed through before a storm or nightfall arrives. To avoid common mishaps that turn into visits to the ER, don’t hurry this task. Take the time to mow safely. Use the following safety tips to enjoy an injury-free mowing experience:
- Prep the yard: Before you do anything else, take a tour of your yard. Walk the area you will be mowing and remove any obstacles. This includes tools, toys, sports equipment, tree branches and rocks. Prepping a clear path will protect both you and your belongings. Rolling over these items with the mower can turn them into dangerous projectiles that injure you or passersby. (Not to mention it would destroy that expensive ball glove you just bought for your child’s birthday!) It may add a few minutes to your mowing chore, but this prep time is well worth it to avoid mishaps.
- Check the fuel: Start with a full tank, so you don’t run out of fuel in the middle of the job. If you use equipment rental in Monroe, LA, you can verify whether or not you should return the mower with a full tank. For now, keep in mind proper safety measures for refueling. You should fill the tank while the engine is cool, before you start it. If you refuel a hot engine, you can cause vapors to ignite or explode. To refuel, take the mower outdoors. Never fuel up in a garage or shed.
- Inspect the mower: Give your personal mower or equipment rental in Monroe, LA a quick inspection before you begin. Check the mower-deck height and make any necessary adjustments. Ensure all blades are secure, as well as the handle, steering wheel and any other levers. You don’t want to start a job with equipment that is not ready to handle the project. A once-over will help you discover any repairs that should be made before the mower can be safely operated.
- Dress appropriately: Yes, mowing is warm work. That doesn’t mean you should wear shorts and sandals. Protect yourself properly. Wear sturdy shoes that offer solid traction. Put on long pants. Use hearing protection. If you get in full gear before you get out your equipment rental in Monroe, LA, you are less likely to end up wearing those flip flops to the ER.
- Mow alone: Do you have children or pets? They should not be around while you mow. If possible, keep them indoors. Too many accidents happen when the mower thinks a child is a safe distance away. They are faster than you think. Pets are, too. It’s not worth the risk. Keep everyone far from your mowing zone for proper protection. Also, don’t let children younger than 12 years old use push mowers. Let them get a little bigger before they use your mower or an equipment rental in Monroe, LA.
Maintaining these safety measures will help you avoid unnecessary dangers while operating an equipment rental in Monroe, LA. When it’s time to trim again, review these tips to keep safety a top priority. For additional tips, contact the rental experts at Ram Rent-All, Inc.